Swanes Nurseries. is proudly family owned and operated Australian business that began operating in 1919 and has had significant impact on gardens Australia wide and, through our breeding programs, worldwide.
About Swanes Nurseries. Dural.Horticulture Trade.Nursery Wholesale.
Our flagship plant nursery at Dural sits on 16 hectares and houses not only our garden centre and famous rose gardens but also our plant growing and production areas with extensive shade and glasshouses, and our new rose variety trial garden.
Swanes Trade desk is at our Dural Garden Centre and offers easy access to thousands of plants for our landscape and building tradespeople with our great trade pricing.
Grow, Create, Inspire are words that characterize the soul of Swanes Nurseries, our pride in what we produce, and strive to achieve in the future.
Swanes Nurseries History
Our fields at Dural are home to a huge range of plant varieties all grown onsite, in sizes ranging from tubestock to large advanced stock. Many thousands of these plants are sold through our own stores and others shipped to nurseries around the state.
Swanes Nurseries have been involved in the growth and success of the Nursery and Garden Industry in Australia. An active participant in growers think tanks and events, Swanes Nurseries values strong relationships with allied trades, and our wider customer base.
A trip to the USA in the early 70s to research growing techniques for their expanding plant business was the beginning of Ben and Geoff Swanes association with some of the world’s biggest rose breeders and producers. The growth of the new rose business and the demand for more growing space, quarantine facilities and trial testing, lead to the purchase of a property in Narromine in the Western Plains of NSW, where tens of thousands of roses were grown annually to be shipped Australia wide and overseas.
The business grew and a new site at Dural was chosen for its great location and access to water and the move was made in the early 1960s.
Swanes began as market gardeners in Ermington, Sydney pre 1920 and supplied the Murrumbidgee irrigation area with large quantities of citrus.